Cochran Gravesite

 

Home
Up

COCHRAN GRAVESITE

(ANDERSONVILLE)

Hot Springs County, Wyoming

N 43 42.925    W 108 08.421

To reach this gravesite, drive north from the north edge of Hot Springs State Park on Hot Springs County Road #8, commonly known as East River Road.  It is six miles from the exit of the state park to the gravesite which can be seen on the left, west, side of the road, about 150 feet away on the top of the rise.  The grave overlooks the river and the original town site of Andersonville.

Andersonville was a beautiful place, founded in 1870 on what Indians called Po-pa-da (Owl) Creek.  It was named for the Anderson brothers from Illinois; having heard of the Big Horn Basin as a garden spot, they came intending to raise beans, but started a town instead.  It became a hangout for gunmen such as Butch Cassidy, and Kid Curry's Hole-in-the-Wall gang.  When Thermopolis started across the river, Andersonville was abandoned.

This is a solitary gravesite with a nice stone in place, and a fence that can be stepped over by holding down the barbed wire.  The stone says:

      Alfred Cochran

      Co 1  1 Reg

      NY INF

      SP AM  WAR

      Sep 6, 1879

      Oct 29, 1955

There is also a metal marker from Mortimore Funeral Home.

Alfred Cochran was born in Brooklyn, N.Y.  His father's name was Henry and his mother's name was Sarah Parker.  His wife's name was Hazel Bender.  He resided in Thermopolis for 50 yrs and wanted to be buried on the Cochran Ranch.